Currently, team-based online games are gaining increasing popularity. Mutual understanding and timely coherence of players allows you to successfully achieve a common goal. Rapid transmission of information during the game takes place using a microphone. This article will describe how to configure the device, as well as talk about the main problems associated with one of the most popular playgrounds "Stream". Sometimes the microphone does not work in the chat, although the computer sees the microphone. The switch button does not help. How to fix or resolve this problem?
For the correct transmission of voice messages, it is necessary that the microphone be properly debugged. Proper configuration should be performed in the platform used by the game. "Stream" is an online service and serves as a platform for multiplayer games, as well as a social network for players.
For the previous version of "Steam" device adjustment is performed in the settings. To go to the settings, the first thing to do is to run Steam. Then on the taskbar (in the lower right corner) open the application by clicking on the application icon. In the dialog box that opens, select "Settings" and go to the "Voice" section.
The new version of "Steam" is significantly different from the previous one. The difference is not only in appearance, but also in terms of software interface. To go to the microphone debugging, go to the application settings, and then do the following:
- Go to the "Friends" section;
- Select "Friends List";
- Go to "Settings". To do this, in the upper right corner select the icon in the form of a gear.
- In the dialog box that appears, go to the Voice Chats area.
Direct microphone setup is as follows:
- It is necessary to set the type of voice input, i.e. way to transfer information. To do this, in the "voice chats" window, in the "voice input device" section, select the appropriate device from the drop-down list.
- Set up voice interaction with members of the gaming team. Therefore, you need to set the type of voice output so that you can hear users from your friends list.
- Adjust the volume for both incoming and outgoing sounds. Volume adjustment is performed with the help of moving sliders located in the corresponding settings fields.
- Assign the type of voice transmission. This option allows you to select the method by which voice communication will be performed between users. When choosing a permanent transmission type, the audio signals will be transmitted continuously, i.e. users will always hear you. It is possible to transmit sound when you press a certain key or vice versa, the pressed key stops the transfer.
Reference: If the voice transmission is performed by pressing a key, the system will automatically alert you to the on or off transmission.
- You need to debug the sensitivity of the microphone, this is due to the fact that each device has individual technical characteristics.
All of these settings allow you to improve the quality of the transmitted signal by the microphone. At the same time provide an opportunity to perform personal debugging sound transmission.
Also in the configuration of the platform, there are additional parameters, such as: echo cancellation and noise reduction. Which help to struggle with an echo at information transfer from a room with high coefficient of return of a sound wave. And suppress unnecessary sounds from nearby noisy objects.
There is a possibility of automatic adjustment, allowing you to perform the setting without user intervention.
Important: After finishing the settings, you must perform a voice test before use.
The first thing to do is check the microphone connection. In some cases, problems occur due to improper connection. As a rule, the microphone jack is confused with the headphone jack. For proper connection, pay attention to the label located next to the connector.
If the microphone is connected via USB, you should try connecting to another port. Then check the sound card driver. To do this, it is necessary to determine the manufacturer and model of the card, then go to the official website and install the latest version of the software from it.
The malfunction may be due to improper microphone settings in the operating system. To check the settings in Windows:
- Go to the "Control Panel" and select the settings "Sound";
- In the dialog box that appears on the "Record" make sure that the microphone is selected as the "Device by default";
- Check the microphone on the volume scale on the right;
- Go to properties by double clicking on the device;
- On the "Levels" tab adjust the microphone volume and gain. It is not recommended to set a high value - it may cause distortion of the sound transmission;
- After saving the settings, you need to re-check the performance of the microphone.
If the device is working according to the volume scale readings, but the problem is not resolved in the "incentive", then you need to check the settings directly on the game platform. Debugging in most cases is done through the settings in the microphone test. With a good device, you will hear a sound transmission.
Then check the health of the game, but before that, make sure that you assign the control key for voice transmission. The cause of the problem may be due to the fact that the microphone inputs are switched during the start of the game. Also, some servers can control the transmission of sound. To eliminate this possibility of failure, you need to try several servers.
Other programs that are designed to transmit text, voice and video messages may affect the correct operation. Because the probability of interception of the microphone audio stream is not excluded. Close all applications to allow full device access.
The full functioning of the microphone in the "Steam" is also influenced by poor connection to the network. It is necessary to check the quality of the connection. The easiest way - the gradual disappearance of the sound signal during the game. The quality of the transmission of sound decreases due to the fact that some servers forcibly change the frequency of data transmission.
Reference: The usual frequency of data transmission in games is 40. The recommended frequency should be within 20, with a decrease in frequency to 13 the sound starts to disappear.
To adjust the parameter, it is necessary to go to the “Internet” tab in the “Steam” settings and select a speed within 2.5k, this value is the most optimal for almost any connection.
Some browsers, because of their security policy, prohibit the use of devices for transmitting voice messages. To use the microphone freely, you must give permission to use it. Basically, access is granted in additional browser add-ons. To do this, go to the personal data section, then in the content settings, find the media item. Then from the drop-down list, select the desired device.
In some cases, the echo effect occurs due to the proximity of the sound receiver with speakers. It is recommended to use headphones or a headset with a microphone. The cause of a quiet sound may be an incorrectly directed sensing element. You can try to make the settings for gain, for this you need:
- Go to the "control panel" and double-click on the icon "sound";
- In the dialog box that appears on the tab "record" go to "properties";
- On the "Levels" tab increase the volume and effort.
It is recommended that the device be positioned at least 2 to 3 centimeters from the sound source. If problems arise in the form of hissing and sound distortion, be sure to check the cable for damage and connection. There are common cases where the plug is not fully inserted into the connector. To check the health of the microphone, use another device or connect it to another computer and test it.
A well-tuned microphone is the key to a successful outcome during team games. Due to a clear and high-quality understanding between team members. Moreover, setting the microphone in the "Steam" is not a super-heavy task.