A bed with a lifting mechanism is the best option for small apartments, which solves several issues at once. Firstly, space is greatly saved, and secondly, the bed can serve as a storage box for bedding or clothes. To make such a mechanism at home with your own hands is quite simple and without unnecessary furniture costs. To get started, it is enough to choose the right materials, consider the drawings and proceed with a step-by-step guide.
Necessary materials and tools
As in production, to start production, you will need to correctly calculate the amount of material, choose the material itself and think about the dimensions. To start manufacturing, you will need:
- Particleboard or OSB. The basis of the box. Sheets made from these materials are cheap and readily available. To choose the density and rigidity is depending on the desires of the owner of the future bed.
- Upholstery. The owner can choose the material for the upholstery of the box to his taste and design preference. The most commonly used foam is hypoallergenic. Such a folding bed becomes soft.
- Sheathing. It is recommended to use a dense fabric that will not tear during installation (leatherette, velor, etc.).
- medium size level;
- electro jigsaw;
- welding machine;
- screwdriver with nozzles;
- grinder for metal;
- dryer (when using wood varnish).
Attention! Sheathed bed is recommended in separate parts. To keep the upholstery soft and elastic, it is recommended to use sheet foam, for the installation of which you will need furniture glue and a stapler.
Types of lifting mechanisms on the bed
There are three types of lifting gear:
- Gas. The rise is due to shock absorbers, springs. Silent and easily lifted mechanism, the box rises without the use of force.
- Mechanical. The rise is due to metal springs. The design is easy to install, but the service life is not more than 4 years.
- Manual. The most budget option, there are no problems in installation. It is usually used for making adult beds, because in order to tilt the box, you need to use manual force.
Important! At home, it is recommended to use gas lifting mechanisms. They are much stronger and more durable, also in stores you can find budget options.
Drawings and measurements
Calculations are carried out on the base of the box 1800 * 2000 with a height of not less than 40 cm, so that there is a place under the compartment for things.
In total, you need three components, bars, corners and shields.
- bars: 3 pcs with a size of 50 * 50 * 3000;
- shields: 4 pcs with dimensions 18 * 400 * 2000 (2x) and 18 * 2000 * 1600 (2x);
- mounting corners: 8 pcs with a size of 50 * 50 * 50, and 20 pcs 20 * 40 * 20.
During installation, it is necessary to measure the degrees of angles so that the frame rests smoothly and does not creak.
Drawing of the mechanism with shock absorbers
Important! Drills of 2, 5 and 7 mm with wrenches of 10 and 13 mm are useful for installation.
Bed with lifting mechanism: step by step
DIY lifting frame:
- Assembly of the box and fixing the corners according to the drawings. All work is carried out on the floor to avoid distortions.
- Processing of wood coating and gluing corners with glue.
- For large beds, a partition for support is installed parallel to the box in the middle.
- Inside the box, the rails (20 * 80) are mounted with self-tapping screws and aligned to the bottom of the structure.
- Along the bottom of the frame, drill rails every 15 cm.
- Construction processing begins.
Improvement and fixing of the main frame:
- Cuts and uneven surfaces are ground and varnished (if desired).
- The plywood support sheet is laid on the lamellas.
- In corners metal corners are installed.
- At the corners of the bottom are attached slats, legs of the bed. The screws are scrolled from the outside of the frame so that the bed is stable and durable.
- Rubber or a piece of linoleum is glued to the legs so that the floor does not scratch.
Important! The spring mechanism carries a load on the frame, in order to prevent the bed from sagging, metal bases (slats) are placed on the basement parts.
- The fixture is fixed to the base of the bed from the basement.
- Adjustable mechanism lift.
- The support plate is installed on the box.
- Check the functionality of the entire structure.
For the back you will need a sheet of material from which the frame was made.
- From a solid sheet with a jigsaw cuts the necessary shape of the back.
- A wooden border is attached.
- Then two sheet foam rubber is glued to the plywood and you can proceed to the casing.
- For softness, batting is added, from which you can then make beds of various shapes.
- Sheathed with material. The back part at the edges of the bed is fixed with construction glue, and cuts are made on the bends so that the material does not overlap.
- After the back is completely sheathed, you can make a shape with a construction stapler.
Important: When cutting a form, you need to consider that working with direct forms is much simpler and easier. If the master does not have special skills, then sheathing may turn out to be sloppy.
Getting to the casing. Upholstery materials for the finished bed are selected according to the personal preferences of the owner, mainly leatherette, dermantine or dense fabric is used.
Attention! For wood structures, before lining, varnishing with wood materials should be carried out in order to increase the life of the bed.
- Upholstery of the main frame and back.
- For decorativeness and beauty of furniture, sheet foam is glued around the perimeter of the structure.
- The legs of the bed are glued with construction glue and attached to the finished bed.
- You can finish the area around the leg with a construction stapler in two rows. The main condition is that the material must be wrapped so that the appearance is neat.
- The lower part is finished without bending the material.
- After all the details of the bed have been beaten, corners are installed on the inside of the bed.
Before doing work, you need to understand one thing: the most difficult thing in making a bed with a lifting mechanism is the drawings and calculations of the material. To get a decent result, it is recommended to watch video tutorials and professional tips in advance that will tell you what major mistakes are made during home installation. In the end, the owner of the bed can make sure that the result is much better and more reliable than the factory models. This is achieved thanks to all the geometric and proportional compliance that everyone selects for their needs and financial capabilities.